Sunday, February 17, 2008

All kinds of everything - a special bond continents apart!


A little before Christmas Rakesh,  a fellow AOL Journals team members,  called me over to his cube to show me something on his computer. I thought it was some work stuff but was just blow away by what did transpire in the next 10 - 15 minutes. 

 Rakesh asked me if I knew the song "All kinds of everything  by Dana" and I said "Of course I did. Everyone in Ireland did as she won the Eurovision Song Contest in the '70's and I spent my childhood singing this song, listening to it on the radio and seeing it on the TV every year when  Eurovision time came around."

Rakesh proceeded to show me a YouTube video of Dana singing the song at the Eurovision song contest  and the two of us started sining along to it and I must admit that when it was finished the two of us had tears in our eyes. Here is the video:




Here are the lyrics of this simple but beautiful song:


Snow drops and daffodils, butterflies and bees 
Sailboats and fishermen, things of the sea 
Wishing wells, wedding bells, early morning dew 
All kinds of everything remind me of you 

Seagulls and aeroplanes, things of the sky 
Winds that go howling, breezes that sigh 
City sights, neon lights, grey skies or blue 
All kinds of everything remind me of you 

Summertime, wintertime, spring and autumn too 
Monday, Tuesday, every day, I think of you 

Dances, romances, things of the night 
Sunshine and holidays, postcards to write 
Budding trees, autumn leaves, a snowflake or two 
All kinds of everything remind me of you 

Summertime, wintertime, spring and autumn too 
Seasons will never change the way that I love you 

Dances, romances, things of the night 
Sunshine and holidays, postcards to write 
Budding trees, autumn leaves, a snowflake or two 
All kinds of everything remind me of you 
All kinds of everything remind me of you

When the song ended I asked Rakesh how did he know the song and he explained to me that in the 70's he Dad studied in London and he recorded this song and another by Mary Hopkins  and brought them back to his family in India. Rakesh has fond memories of sitting in his home in India listening and singing along to these beautiful songs. 

I just think it is awesome that we both were children singing this song but worlds  apart - Leona in Ireland and Rakesh in India but bonded by Dana a young 19 year old who won a song contest with this very beautiful song. We connect up in the Silicon Valley and work with each other for over a year and then discover a wonderful link in our past. Was this a coincidence or did God have a part to play in this?

I asked Rakesh for photos of his family and I told him it was for a secret and of course I wanted the photos to Blog about this wonderful moment of sharing and bonding we had. Here are the photos he sent me, he also gave me some history of his family and the photos and I use his own word to explain:


My dad, Dr. Ramesh Kumar Mishra( in short Dr. R. K. Mishra) did his Masters and Ph.D under Professor H.O.W. Richardson ( son of Nobel Laurete O.W. Richardson ) in Nuclear Physics during 1966-1970 at Bedford College, London University. Bedford College has since been merged with Royal Hollaway College and has moved to Egham county. Bedford College during those years was in London.

These pictures were taken in Indian YMCA , located at Fitzroy Square, London while we were returning back from Tripoli , after completing his six years of teaching assignment at Al-Fateh University.

In this picture , from the right , its me (Rakesh) , then there is an unknown person lurking in, the person writing in the autograph book is the Indian scientist George Sudarshan, my younger brother ( Rajesh), dad partially visible, my younger sister ( Vandana) and my mom ( Anjula).


In thia picture, from the right, its my younger sister ( Vandana), me , George Sudarshan, younger brother ( Rajesh ),my dad and my mom.


Here is a picture of Rakesh and I taken last week :



Unfortunately, this was at a lunch for Rakesh's last day at AOL. We had a wonderful lunch with the AOL Journals team but it was bitter sweet to see one of our team members and friends leave. 

The great news is that Rakesh and his wonderful wife are expecting a baby for June and I know that Rakesh will make a wonderful father and I know that one of the first songs the new baby will hear will be "All kinds of everthing".
 
Rakesh I am available for baby siting anytime and my fee is very cheep -  I just give and receive lots of love!

No comments: