Leona's Spaghetti and Meatballs
What you need:
28 oz can of diced tomatoes
8 oz can of tomato sauce
Cup each of finely chopped carrots, onion and celery
Chopped Fresh Parsley and Basil
Red pepper flakes
2 cups of chicken stock
3/4 lb of ground beef
3/4 lb of ground turkey
1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
2 sticks of mozzarella cheese
More fresh parsley and Basil
- Heat olive oil and then add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent
- Pour in the can of diced tomatoes and the tomato sauce and add some of the chopped parsley and basil, one cup of chicken stock and the red pepper flakes. Combine well and bring to a boil.
- Simmer immediately and continue to cook for at least 30 mins ( longer if you have time)
- Stir occasionally and add some chicken stock if needed
- When cooked, use an immersion blender to combine the ingredients into a smother sauce.
- While the sauce is simmering, combine the meat, parsley, basil and parmesan in a bowl, mixing well.
- Chop the mozzarella cheese into about 1/4 inch pieces
- Take some of the meat meat mixture ( enough to make about a 1 - 1 1/2 inch ball) in your hand and smash it flat, add a piece of mozzarella and roll into a ball. Make about 25 meat balls, try and keep the size consistent so they will cook at the same rate.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and very gently stir so the meatballs are coated with sauce, simmer for about 45 mins. Stir gently occasional as the sauce and meatball combine beautifully together.
Serve with spaghetti and sprinkle the top with grated parmesan, basil and parsley.
It turned out really tasty and the good news is there is enough leftovers for tomorrow's dinner.
Adding the meatballs to the sauce
Meatballs and sauce simmer and combing wonderful flavors
The finished product - yummy yummy!